Thursday, November 8, 2012

Put a Needle on the Record ( Portland )

Sara and Dennis my family and tour guides



My cousin Dennis lives in Portland with his wife Sara and two lovley kids. He had asked me for years to visit them there. I was introduced to the show Portlandia by him and my cousin Tam. Which Coined such phrases as " Put a Bird on it "  kinda of a geek joke but if you watch the show it makes sense. It was a rainy day when we hit the streets of Portland. I was super excited to just explore this city with my ultra hip and cool tour guides Dennis and Sara J .  Here are a few pictures of our day in Portland.


"During the dot-com boom of the mid-to-late 1990s, Portland saw an influx of people in their 20s and 30s,[citation needed] drawn by the promise of a city with abundant nature, urban growth boundaries, cheaper rents, and opportunities to work in the graphic design and Internet industries, as well as for companies like Doc MartensNikeAdidas, and Wieden+Kennedy. When thiseconomic bubble burst, the city was left with a large creative population. Also, when the bubble burst in Seattle and San Francisco, even more artists streamed into Portland, drawn in part by its relatively low cost of living, for a West Coast city. In 2000 the U.S. census indicated there were over 10,000 artists in Portland" ( via Wikipedia ) 

Record Shopping 


Being a vinyl record nerd I was excited to explore Jack Pot Records . My cousin told me about an epic Portland band The Wipers . Which I am sad that I hadn't heard of before this is why you get out there and see thing to broaden your horizons. I enjoyed this record store so much the staff was friendly and not music snobish which is a plus in my book.









I'm going to end this first installment of my Portland Tour with a song by the Wipers . Tommorow we will go vintage shopping and eat some donuts .

Wipers were a  group formed in Portland, Oregon, United States in 1977 by guitarist Greg Sage, drummer Sam Henry and bassist Dave Koupal. Wipers were one of the earliest American purveyors of the genre, and the group’s tight song structure and use of heavy distortion has been hailed as extremely influential by numerous critics and musicians (including Nirvana, who covered several of their songs), laying the groundwork for the evolution of  from punk. ( via Last FM ) 



No comments:

Post a Comment