Wednesday, June 18, 2014

The Bus Chronicles




This post is born from status updates that I've done for years. On my personal Facebook account. Sometimes I feel bored and akward on the bus so I take out my phone start typing away. 




Morning Bus Chronicle 


The weather is hazy today the calm before the humidity. These summer mornings remind me of field trip days. When as children we'd all get to school with our shorts on chilly in the morning haze. Special packed lunches with our names on the paper bags. Teachers with clipboards wearing street clothes and sneakers. With that little ball of excitement in your tummy . Knowing you were going somewhere you'd never been before.


 Speed walking to my favorite bus stop. Which is the least creepy of the few in my hood. There is an aroma of rotten garbage from the bucket adjacent to me. With a small swarm of yellow jackets drinking up some sugary blue liquid trickling through the metal grating of the trash bucket. Everyone is sleepy not necessarily chatty. We all look at the drunk man lumbering towards us. With his large gray dirty sweatpants , bright white sneakers. He looks like he has been at war with himself and the vodka won. Maybe someday he will win that's what I like to think. The bus pulls up slowly we all get out our passes and fares so we can quickly assemble in. Never be the one who holds up the line its just not cool. The bus is packed so this means find a seat. Seriously don't be picky if there is an open chair take it. 

The bus is cold air conditioner on full force giving me goosebumps.In the cold air the smell of burned coffee, eggs and fruity body spray waft through the cold air.  Can't help but hear a loud cell phone conversation going on. A man fighting with his partner. Things seem to get heated quickly. I often wonder if they are bored and talking to themselves for the stories get more elaborate as the bus moves on. A very adorable baby is smiling at me . I can't help smiling back at her. A loud bunch of High School kids get on the bus. Really I would tell you what they are saying , yet all I hear is the f-bomb. Now phone guy is talking to this women about how crazy his girlfriend is. Doesn't he know we all heard the conversation c'mon phone guy. We know you're not the innocent victim in this dispute. Its my stop time to leave bus world for a bit start my day. Wonder if phone guy and his women will ever made up?

No comments:

Post a Comment