Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Rolling Stone Cover feat Boston Bomber is leading many to Boycott


Photo via  HARTFORD, CT (WFSB)


Working in Radio you read the trade magazines allot. You need to keep up to date with everything going on. Not only the talent but also the industry side of the industry. One of the most respected is Rolling Stone when I noticed in my social media feeds this morning allot of people were calling for a boycott of Rolling Stone it really took me by shock. Until I saw the cover everyone was tweeting, facebooking about. I found myself actually nauseous when I laid my eyes upon it. Even those in the music industry are speaking out about the cover Nikki Sixx tweeted on to his facebook page the following

Twitter Account....@nikkisixx

"I understand journalism but @RollingStone has disrespected the families of the Boston bombing victims 100%.
____________________________

Why not put photos of the victims and families on the cover and let that tell the story of courage and heartbreak? You could keep the photo of this terrorist inside if need be and report your story.I am sure you are aware of the pain you were about to cause all the families when you went to print...

I know journalism isn't pretty when you have the face of evil staring back at you but why put him on the cover of a supposed music oriented magazine? You treat him with the same honor as those of us who have made the cover based on our craft?

I agree with many of my peers and I hope Rolling Stone can take responsibility and issue an apology to everybody who's lives has been affected..." ( Via Nikki Sixx ) 



 It isn't that they are doing a story on the suspected bomber it is how the cover comes off . It has a editorial look to it that if you didn't know better would look like a cover they would do depicting a up and coming star. Why on earth would you depict a terrorist this way on the cover of a well respected publication. I am outraged as many people are world wide. There is a call for a boycott of the magazine.
"
CVS/pharmacy has decided not to sell the current issue of Rolling Stone featuring a cover photo of the Boston Marathon bombing suspect," the Facebook post read. "As a company with deep roots in New England and a strong presence in Boston, we believe this is the right decision out of respect for the victims of the attack and their loved ones." ( Via  HARTFORD, CT (WFSB)

 I believe they should pull the cover immediately send an apology. Donate the sales of this months publication to the One Fund in Boston. The fund set up to aid the victims of the tragedy. Let's hope Rolling Stone does the right thing and pulls the cover. There is free speech and then there is blatant disrespect for your country and the victims those effected by the Boston bombing tragedy.Social media is a buzz about it . What are your thoughts ?  Will you purchase Rolling Stone in the future ?

No comments:

Post a Comment