Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Pop Culture : The Elf on the Shelf







My niece and nephew got an elf on the shelf this year . As there mom and I talked we tried to figure out where he came from . So for those of you who don't what Elf on the Shelf is here is an introduction . I want to say being the imaginative child I was. This would have freaked me out an elf watching me. My niece and nephew take this seriously .

Once everyone goes to bed, the elf flies back to the North Pole to report back to Santa about what activities, good and bad, took place throughout the day. Before the family wakes up each night, the scout elf flies back from the North Pole and hides. By hiding in a new spot each morning around the house, the scout elf and the family play an on-going game of hide and seek. The Elf on the Shelf explains that elves get their magic by being named. In the back of each book, families have an opportunity to write their elf's name and the date that they adopted it. Once the elf is named, the scout elf receives its special Christmas magic which allows it to fly to and from the North Pole. However, the magic might go if touched, so the rule for The Elf on the Shelf states: "There's only one rule that you have to follow so I will come back and be here tomorrow: Please do not touch me. My magic might go, and Santa won't hear all I've seen or I know." Although families aren't supposed to touch their scout elf, they can talk to it and tell it all their Christmas wishes so it can report back to Santa accurately. On Christmas Day the elf will leave for the rest of the year until Thanksgiving comes.

So enter in the parents of the children. Who maybe after a couple of glasses of wined decide that they will have some fun of there own with the elf. I seriously have been laughing at the scale of the photos that have been popping up in my facebook feed . Even on Total Radio UK we have been having a good time showing these photos and our listeners love them. So Id like to share some the most creative I have found . Wonder what the kids will say when there older and find out what there parents did to there beloved elves  















No comments:

Post a Comment