Saturday, May 12, 2012

Crack the Eye Shadow Code ( blending)



I put out a facebook post some weeks ago asking you a simple question. What in your cosmetic bag confuses you?  Never did I think eye shadow.  I understand completely with the overload of information out there . Telling you to use multiple colors then the charts that come with the eye shadow. I'm all about eye shadow diversity.  I want us to start off with one color . This will ease you into the process get your comfort level up with color. Before you know it you'll be using such terms as us makeup junkies use. " I love how pigmented that shadow is " . When you know the difference between a pigmented shadow. Then one that isn't you'll never go back to non pigmented shadow. We  will talk about that in our next post. Now to get our blending on with a video . My allergies were kicking . I edited it down to be simple . There was 10 minutes of me just talking ( Very scary indeed )

What you will need :  One eyes shadow , eye shadow primer , eye shadow brush ( if you don't own one its a good investment) for now a q- tip will do .

Reading your questions made me gear this post to technique . Allot of you said that you felt like every time you apply the eye shadow you feel you look like a clown. I could write a long post yet if your a visual learner like me . Here is a quick lesson on blending

1. Eye shadow primer . I like painterly paint pot by MAC . Apply with finger tip all over you lid and crease where the eye shadow will touch . There are some over the counter eye shadow primer. We know I'm thrifty yet splurge on this item.

2 . Apply the shadow of choice to your lid space with your finger tip. Bring the shadow into your crease . Yes I said finger it is a great makeup tool and most of us have one . I'm thinking this is where most of you stop. I use a brush in the video though feel free to use an applicator. I do advise the purchase of a brush eventually . This would procure the dreaded clown look.

Now Blend . This is the most important part of applying eye shadow. So its important to practice this get your comfort level up. I'm living proof, when I learned the magic of blending. It gave me the confidence to get a little experimental with my shadow . This step is crucial in mastering the smokey eye.

I just want to tell you it took allot of freaking courage to go on youtube. You have to push through the fear in anything you do. When you push through your own fear it helps others.




"Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." 




Jim Morrison








Practice this let me know if it makes a difference . Next time we will take the blending and additional color in. I wanted to start gradual.  The goal is smokey eye so fun to play makeup.














2 comments:

  1. The dreaded clown look made me laugh. It was nice to see you in the flesh. You have told us for years you were just like us. I think once your video skills get better. You could be the voice in over 30 real women in beauty on you tube. Your warm funny and a geek.

    Jen

    ( Via email )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you ! Guilty geek as charged LOL

    ReplyDelete