Friday, April 15, 2011

Happy Birthday Charlie Chaplin 122 years old



I woke up this morning to say good morning to my twitter family .  Charlie Chaplin trending right there in front of me. If you know me offline you know that Charlie really even eclipses the guyliner contingent as far as devotion goes.



Well Charlie is the original guyliner king. How did this love affair with Charlie Chaplin begin. Like allot of things that become dear to me its by chance. I think the Celestine Prophecy falling off a friends book case on my head is the best.



I was a Junior in High School my study hall was in the library. This was in the old fashion 1990's where we didn't have cell phones. There wasn't a computer but a card catalog using the Dewey decimal system. When Id get bored with actually studying . Id roam the Library looking for books with good pictures for me to sketch . Then while I was trying to pull out a very large book about the golden age of Hollywood. There was the autobiography of Charlie Chaplin. It seemed to jump off the shelf and into my hands. I felt compelled to read it . I didn't check it out everyday during study hall Id go to the shelf and eagerly read the pages.  My friends indulged this latest fascination. Even buying me a boxed VHS set of his movies.



 Back then in the 90's you had to research things . So I went to the library went to it checking out books. Reading everything I could get my hands on. Then the Chaplin movie came out around that time. My two best girlfriends went with me . I promised if they indulged the arty weird stuff I'd do normal things like go bowling. Go to dances all that jazz. I did get annoying especially if we watched a movie . If it was a United Artists Film " You know United Artists was a company started by Douglas Fairbanks, Mary Pickford , Charlie Chaplin which was the beginning of the end , of the star system in Hollywood" After time they'd have fun saying you know Tracey United Artists you get what I'm saying. The biggest moment in my Chaplin fandom .  I attended a show where a ragtime orchestra played an actual score from one of his movies while the movie played. Sadly no one wanted to go with me . Though I though there would be a collective of like minded Chaplin Geeks who would indulge me. Sadly it was a bunch of season ticket holders for the venue who had nothing better to do. They were a little snobby to be honest none of my witty banter amused them. So there I was alone in the theater in a corner geeking out by myself. Just drinking it all in then at intermission a violin player indulged me in a geek out. Yeah I always seem to gravitate to the band go figure.What captivated me about him was that he was a flawed human like all of us. He was a innovator in his craft . The messages in his film spoke to you are indeed timeless. The use of expression in silent films always just amazes me . Charlie in some way touched me in a place in my heart that he holds.( I know this is a bit gushey but allow me the liberty)  I cant tell you of one pivotal moment that did it for me . You can find the humor and beauty in his films. Most of all he makes you laugh at yourself.He knew human pain but also the element of falling down and getting back up. Sometimes in failing you suceed . I had to pay tribute to this beautiful artist who is so dear not only to me but the world . Happy Birthday Charles Spencer Chaplin xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment