Saturday, March 26, 2011

Body Image Post : Beth Ditto a Nortorious Songstress

Duran Duran had there Unstaged event Directed by David Lynch. The show was amazing visually stunning to this pop culture esk blogger it was epic. I don't know if I can even find the words. The crowd was electric . The guyliner contingent was top form and I found my self yelling at the computer " Yeah baby thats how its done baby " . (when I say stuff like this I'm glad Duran Duran doesn't know about us yet ) One performance that had me just all jazzed up was Beth Ditto singing with Simon Lebon Notorious. Looking gorgeous in houndstooth dress just made me smile. Beth is not only a brilliant  singer. She is also a plus size gal who knows how to get it done. Her bubbly stage presence was infectious had me up dancing take a look





I think sometimes when your a fan of a band who lets just face it . Is associated with loving the models and the aesthetic elite that I think genetics could only bless you with. It did my heart good to see beautiful lady curves grooving along Simon Lebon. Instead of yes yes insert genetically blessed 19 year old model to make me feel like shite. Beth was a breath of fresh air a sight for sore eyes. So you want to know more about this lovley ladie. You had to love her at the end of the performance she said "What a fucking dream"  Seriously I think at that moment all Duran Duran fans agreed to adopt her along with Mark Ronson who we adopted previously.


In February 2009, she was featured in London as the cover model for the premiere of Love magazine //via wikipedia
Here is what she said in a 2009 interview with Tim Walker for the Independent about her magazine cover.
"I don't think putting me on the cover gives magazines permission to go on [featuring straight, size-zero models]," she replies, when the idea is put to her. "Do you really think they need permission? If I weren't on there, I don't think they'd give a shit or feel guilty at all. Maybe they should feel better about themselves for it, but I'm not there to change the minds of people at magazines, I'm not there to soothe their guilty feelings. I'm there to make other people feel rad."



Isn't about time we feel rad about ourselves instead of bad about ourselves ladies. I will shake this size 14 booty quite proudly to that. Beth is the front women for the band Gossip. The formed in 1999 in Olympia Washington. When the girl punk movement was hot in that area of the country.The punk girl movement should be hot always. Gossip is Lead Singer Beth Ditto , Drums  Hannah Blilie   Guitarist Nathan "Brace Paine" Take a listen too there 2006 hit





I knew about Ditto's music I have too say I've been uploading some new gossip music into my ipod. Beth is an out an proud lesbian women who has been an advocate for gay rights. She is an activist for human rights  . As she said she want's people to feel rad about them selves. She is living proof that feeling good in your own skin shows shines through. Here is Beth on the runway at Paris Fashion week. I just want to remind you all we all come in different shapes and sizes. Even though the world we live in imposes these pressures remember you dont have to be a size zero to be beautiful . You are beautiful as you are now. I know the pressure has been getting to me something awful to me latley. Its good to get a refresher from Beth Ditto.

2 comments:

  1. She's of the same ilk as Debbie Harry and Annie Lennox ... women that are beautiful and demanding and you must give them attention.

    Beauty does come in all shapes and size zeros face the same number albeit certainly a variant of the issues of women who have too much weight for the endocrine system.

    I'm stick skinny and considering milkshakes because no matter what I east I seem to get skinnier - not something good at all. Apart from one summer pouring beer as a beer maid living on beernuts and pickled eggs (yuck), I've never been heavy. It's sort of the verso of being heavy with the same sort of predilection to use food for other than hunger. Control vs lack of control.

    Someday we will elevate (yeah right) to a world of acceptance of all our differences.

    Not there and I can't count the wars going on or the number of photo shoots where the model has been improved in Photoshop.

    Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you loud and clear .She is a diva such as the women you mentioned. I think what I admire about her is the fact she dosent hold back. For me my personal battle with too much wieght has been daunting to say the least. I have a close friend who no matter what she eats cant gain weight at all. One night we were at a dance club. Some guy looked at me said " give your friend a sandwhich she needs it" He also asked me if I ate them all. I've lost 90lbs and am still fat . I let myself get up too a size 28 and now at a 14 , 16 on those bloated lady days. I am a compulsive over eater. Basically a bulemic that dosent vomit. I was comfortimg myself with food and booze. I realized what had to happen was change.

    Its a struggle for me knowing Im doing everything right and still considered ugly by society.Actually noone thinks that Im as ugly as I did. Ive been trying to make peace with who I am as I am now. So I dont back slide into the same abusive cycle that got me to the heaviest I was. I was using food to kill the pain. It is to nourish your body not hurt it.

    It makes me sick how they photoshop some of the most beautiful women in the world. Sometimes I see a cover of a magazine and say man they did a hack job on that women.

    ReplyDelete