Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Art Exhibit Skeleton in the Closet by Fritz Liedtke



I was logging off of twitter to do my Sunday chores. When I saw a tweet from @anorexia_tweets , they are not a pro ana site I made sure. I read about this art exhibit that is traveling around to college campuses an venues around the country. Fritz Liedtke a Portland Oregon based photographer went around the country gathering stories also photographing men women with eating disorders. The photo's moved me of course I wanted to share with you. The reason I do these posts is to inform in hopes of starting a dialogue. I always believe when you start talking about something your one step closer to realizing the stigma from it an bringing it out into the open.


Skeleton in the Closet: Eating Disordered Lives from Fritz Liedtke on Vimeo.

Click on image to view the work of Fritz Lietke





Please visit the website http://fritzphoto.bizland.com/skeletoninthecloset/ you'll find the pictures featured in the exhibit with personal stories from the real people, who are featured in the photos. There is information on how you can bring the exhibit to your campus or venue. As always if you or someone you love is suffering with an eating disorder. Please contact a physician to help you find resources to help in your recovery.

6 comments:

  1. Wow I love this.
    Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S : I Love that first picture of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's an awesome way to open the door to discussion.
    Cupcake

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nora : Thanks glad you liked its such powerful exhibit :) xo
    Cupcake: I was so moved by all the stories on the website. I love how it shows that eating disorders don't discriminate they effect all different types of people. Thank you xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm about half way through the gallery. Wow. Just wow. This is so sad.

    I have what I describe as bird bones. And I was very very skinny in Junior High/High School. I so dreamed of being a popular girl (I was a farm girl)so I went out for Cheer Leading tryouts.

    The head girl walked up to me put her hand all the way around my wrist holding my arm up and asked me very loudly "Your arms are so skinny are you anorexic" I politely answered no and obviously I was not picked. I wasn't I ate all the time but everyone thought I was. I just had a high metabolism. Which of course has slowed way way down when I hit my late 30's, a desk job and I swear even slower in my 40's. :)

    Back to the Gallery...It's the cruelty that others inflict that's standing out for me. Ok back to reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I've read your comment 100 times. I am sorry you went through that. Its true I think we all aspire to be popular at that age. Noone tells you how painful it can be. Or how cruel people are . What your saying there is allot to be said for the inflicting of pain. I call it planting the seeds someone usually due to there own insecurity will lash out someone so they feel better. What they dont realize is that while some can brush them off. Others its sticks with you. You keep hearing that remark in your inner dialogue it causes so much pain.

    ReplyDelete