Sunday, April 18, 2010

Record Store Day (That's Entertianment , Worcester MA )

It was a glooming day today, cold  an rainy. Couldn't dampen the spirits of the many music fans that came out today. Record Store Day is actually international in scope, following there twitter site. Updates from all over the world poured as diehard vinyl record fans , music makers , curiosity seekers made the pilgrimage to there local mom and pop record shops. To some people it was a chance to take a peek into those loudly painted shops, with the too cool for school clerks. To see what actually goes on in these places. I decided to take my 68 year old mother with me to see what she thought. I told her she was helping me with my twitter updates. As we walked up to that’s Entertainment in Worcester Massachusetts. You could hear the Local Band "LUNCH" singing about Zombies. My mom's face pursed with that look many mothers get, when they are about to be intertwined with the culture of there children. Her eyes scanning the outside windows that had large comic book character posters hanging. As we opened the door the music got louder.

"This is the one day that all of the independently owned record stores come together with artists to celebrate the art of music. Special vinyl and CD releases and various promotional products are made exclusively for the day and hundreds of artists in the United States and in various countries across the globe make special appearances and performances. Festivities include performances, cook-outs, body painting, meet & greets with artists, parades, djs spinning records and on and on. Metallica officially kicked off Record Store Day at Rasputin Music in San Francisco on April 19, 2008 and Record Store Day is now celebrated the third Saturday every April." (via http://www.recordstoreday.com )






As we pass the Red Room where the band was playing. My moms eyes got wide this place is cool she said. Then I lost my golden girl in a crowd of many. A record shop is a feast for the lover of pop culture .The staff was extremely welcoming and helpful. I asked them if I could take pictures for my blog and they were very accommodating. It was just so much fun. People were at every turn talking about genres and sub genres. Some guy was talking openly and freely about Kraftwerk punk. This blipped off my music geek radar like a torpedo. I went through the bins of vinyl’s that were just being released for Record Shop Day. I scored a very cool Elvis Costello. As I was going through the Duran Duran section. I saw my mother motion over to me all excited.






Waving her arms around I finally came over. That lady over there is Robin Lane. You should put her on your blog.  She was sharing love with her fans. They had vinyl record and CD cases for her to sign. Telling her there memories of her.Robin Lane and The Chartbusters "Robin" (Neal Young ) Then I did geek out just a little when it all sunk in .She sang a couple of songs . Her voice was smooth as ever . Lyrics that cut to your core . It was interesting to find out , she does so many good works. Through her non profit organization (When A Song Bird Sings ). Helping survivors of trauma. My Record Store Day was absolutely top notch. My mom was a fantastic assistant. I even bought her a Bon Jovi poster (Don’t ask she is the biggest Bon Jovi fan). Counting the days till I can flip it on the B-side in record utopia. Id like to give special thanks to That’s Entertainment, Robin Lane, LUNCH, vinyl records fans across the globe. For making this one special day. Of course I scored some swag for my PTB peeps. In the comment section give me shout about your fav time in Pop Culture. Anything song, movie, moment, product. We have 3 Vinyl’s and Green Lantern rings to give out. I will pick the winners this week !

Websites of note :
Robin Lane
http://www.randomrogue.com/robinlane/
That's Entertianment
http://www.thatse.com/

Record Store Day
http://www.recordstoreday.com/


Record Store Day Photos
by
Pop Trash Beauty





1 comment: