Monday, November 26, 2012

Freak Show on the Road : Day of the Dead




I postpone death by living, by suffering, by error, by risking, by loving. - Anais Nin





Allot of people don't know what Day of the Dead is in certain circles. I would say to friends going to Day of the Dead they would look at me like I was crazy . Thinking I was going to some kinda weird witches ceremony in the desert . Day of the Dead is a beautiful ceremony that brings allot of comfort to those who have lost a loved one. Day of the Dead to me represents moving forward and letting go of the past. A way of showing your loved ones they will never be forgotten but that you both can move on . Though we all know they still live in our hearts.




What is Day of the Dead ( All Souls Procession )

Day of the Dead (SpanishDía de los Muertos) is a Mexican holiday celebrated throughout Mexico and around the world in other cultures. The holiday focuses on gatherings of family and friends to pray for and remember friends and family members who have died. It is particularly celebrated in Mexico, where it is a national holiday, and all banks are closed. The celebration takes place on November 1 and 2, in connection with the Catholicholidays of All Saints' Day and All Souls' Day. Traditions connected with the holiday include building private altars honoring the deceased using sugar skullsmarigolds, and the favorite foods and beverages of the departed and visiting graves with these as gifts. They also leave possessions of the deceased.( Via Wikipedia)
“No matter how much suffering you went through, you never wanted to let go of those memories.” 
 Haruki Murakami


The Night Before 
We attended  The Little Angels parade . The Children of Tucson make angel wings and participate in week long activities to prepare them of the parade. I was at the parade thinking these kids have been given such a gift. I found it so healthy how this opened up a dialogue about losing loved ones even a pet. In the park many people built alters honoring there loved ones for all to see. You were able to visit the alters and talk to family members. I found this so beautiful and soothing it was very calm in the park. You could feel such peace and tranquility in the air mostly healing. One women had a display of  bird cages with a diarahma in each in a scene of there life . One had her grandmother knitting in a rocking chair. Such detail and love went to each cage. They also made available the Day of the Dead Urn , this enormous urn is filled with letters to loved ones. Anything you want to put in the urn is excepted . Everyone is encouraged to participate we put letters in the urn that night. After the Day of the Dead Procession they set fire to the urn in moving ceremony. 
This is an alter that was set up in the park 





The urn  you deposit  letters to loved  ones inside

“It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live.” 
― Marcus Aurelius





The All Souls Procession

The day of the dead skull goes back to Aztec times , The skull symbolizes death and rebirth. The skulls are colorful and whimsical not scary or oppressive. Youll notice modern day skull art and figurines you can find all through Tucson. Will depict people in everyday life. Even Skeletons playing electric guitars or rocking out with ipods.
“Death ends a life, not a relationship.” 
― Mitch AlbomTuesdays with Morrie -

“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” 
― Albert Einstein



"Feet, what do I need you for when I have wings to fly?" 
— Frida Kahlo



“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.” 
― Mother Teresa



Each night, when I go to sleep, I die. And the next morning, when I wake up, I am reborn.” 
― Mahatma Gandhi




"I leave you my portrait so that you will have my presence all the days and nights that I am away from you." 
— Frida Kahlo




The Burning of the Urn 

I decided to show this using a youtube seriously I had goosebumps the whole time the ceremony was going on . Its this anticipation that I can't really explain its setting all the things free in your life that were holding you back . As you watch the urn burn you feel this sense of lightness and rebirth. ( I maybe getting a bit carried away but it is like that )












After all that you get pretty hungry and must celebrate in dance






No comments:

Post a Comment