Thursday, September 1, 2011

Women Rocking Adrogyny Chic ( Iconic Women)


Romaine Brooks 1924: Una, Lady Troubridge

Romaine Brooks 1924: Una, Lady Troubridge via Flickr Deflam

British sculptor and writer Una, Lady Troubridge (1887-1963) is best remembered for her numerous translations from French and Italian, and is credited with introducing the French novelist Colette to English readers. She also wrote a biography of her longtime partner, Marguerite "John" Radclyffe Hall, author of the 1928 classic The Well of Loneliness ( via Smithsonian American art muesem )
 Lady GaGa caused quite a stir with her gender bending onsom at the VMA's this past weekend. I admire a the women for always pushing the envelope. You may not know this but our dear Lady Gaga is now can add her name to a list of very impressive  women. It all started in the 1920's the suffragette movement was releasing women from there tightly bound corsets. They were cutting there hair into very sexy bobs . Also there hem line was coming up showing some leg . They were called vamps, flappers they were smoking and drinking loving like there male counter parts. Here are some of the women who took it to the next level with a little gender bending appeal.Most predominant in the artist in literary circles in 1920's Paris.  The women in this posts are some of my favorite  Movie Stars, Artists , Writers , Models , who also rocked Androgyny chic.


marlene dietrich top hat, for morocco
Marlene Dietrich - German Born American Actress and Singer
Dietrich in her trademark tuxedo, inspired by a notable scene in the 1930 film 'Morocco'
Dietrich was a fashion icon to the top designers as well as a screen icon that later stars would follow. She once said, "I dress for myself. Not for the image, not for the public, not for the fashion, not for men." ( via wikipedia )

Katharine Hepburn she was the daughter of a doctor and a suffragette. Who became a silver screen legend .
Katharine didn't play the Hollywood game . She did Hollwood on her own terms .
Often wore slacks instead of dresses, decades before it became fashionable for women to do so. Even today she is
still inspiring designers young and old as a fashion and Acting Icon .






Annie Lennox
Annie Lennox is a Scottish recording artist . She was best know
as lead singer of the British pop band the Eurythmics . Annie became a solo artist in her own right.
She is an advocate for women's rights and a style icon for her androgynous style.



Grace Jones
Grace Jones is  a Jamaican-born performer, is better known as a model and singer. Her androgynous appearance, and outrageous musical act employing live lions and leopards, has made her a cult favorite, and propelled her into several acting roles. ( via IMDb)






There are so many more ladies I could of mentioned we have merely scratched the surface . So is there a lady that rocks out the menswear who you love ?

4 comments:

  1. Shirley Manson rocks it! Another person you haven't mentioned would be *thinks* Gwen Stefani!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi hon! At first when I saw the title I thought...noooo I don't like androgny...but then as I scrolled down I love Dietrich, Hepburn & Lennox. I think I don't like a female in drag, rather I like the borrowed from the boys while maintaining feminity. That's sexy!
    Hey great post, miss your blog!!!
    Cupcake
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. @botoxey Yeah I did think of Gwen that is a good one. :)
    @cupcake Hi darling , I've missed you so much XOXOXOOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got the emails guys , yes I did negate the 90's I promise I will add on the 90's ladies. You all agreed with botoxey

    ReplyDelete