Monday, April 25, 2011

Pop Art Minds

Obsessive Facination by Tracey J Whitney 2005

   Pop Trash Beauty had a big pop art infulence. I fell in love with Andy Warhol at age 7 it was all over. Though I did go through impressionist phase. Who dosen't at one time in there life. These days I am gravitating towards grafiti art and Mexican surrealists.  I watched this video on youtube about " Introduction to Pop Art" wanted to share it with you. I think its a perfect jumping off point if your interested in the genre. Google some of the artists mentioned in the video. You may have been a fan and  not known. The collage above was made by me when I was sick in bed for a week. People kept bringing me tabloids to help pass the time. So I took the pictures and cut them up. Hand painting each with acrylic paint. My attempt at pop art . Ive also posted some of my favorite pieces with factiods. We have younger readers who werent exactly born during the big pop art movement. So if you feel some of this is a tad basic. Well your right it is a taster to get them hooked. Just call me your friendly neighborhood pop art pusher. In the hopes the younger generation will carry the love on. Who is your favorite pop artist ?

Pop art


art in which commonplace objects (such as comic strips , soup cans, road signs , and hamburgers) were used as subject matter and were often physically incorporated in the work. The Pop art movement was largely a British and American cultural phenomenon of the late 1950s and ’60s ( via Encyclopedia Britannica)








Andy Warhol Liz in the Ken C. Arnold Art Collection

Andy Warhol - Liz - Ken C. Arnold Art Collection
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kencarnold/4451386516/

In the sixties Warhol started painting daily objects of mass production like Campbell Soup cans and Coke bottles. Soon he became a famous figure in the New York art scene. From 1962 on he started making silkscreen prints of famous personalities like Marilyn Monroe or Elizabeth Taylor ( via http://www.artelino.com/articles/andy_warhol.asp)
.




Peter Max Different Drummer

Peter Max - Different Drummer
http://www.flickr.com/photos/astronit/2102419406/in/photostream/

Max also admired the work of contemporary photographers such as Bert Stern, Richard Avedon, and Irving Penn which led to his photo collage period, in which he had captured the psychedelic era of the mid '60s. via Fine Art Biography
Roy_Lichtenstein_Drowning_Girl

Roy Lichtenstien -Drowning Girl
http://www.flickr.com/photos/omino71/2185813392/


"Lichtenstein was best known for his paintings based on comic strips, with their themes of passion, romance, science fiction, violence, and war. In these paintings, Lichtenstein uses the commercial art methods: projectors magnify spray-gun stencils, creating dots to make the pictures look like newspaper cartoons seen through a magnifying glass. "
Read more: Roy Lichtenstein Biography - life, history, school, son, book, information, born, college, time http://www.notablebiographies.com/Ki-Lo/Lichtenstein-Roy.html#ixzz1Kaak28qh




 How could I not include Duran Duran in this post. This is a video from there album Pop Trash Movie. If you havent figured out is the album that this little blog is named after. This video has a very strong pop art influence. Who do you think inspired them ?

9 comments:

  1. I can't even begin to tell you how much I love this post!!

    That collage is absolutely fantastic! Do you have other collages/paintings etc you would like to share?

    My favorite pop artist would have to be Andy Warhol. Very cliche` choice but I actually love his "image and character" more than I love his work. However I do love his silkscreen prints the best.

    xxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nora
    Im so glad you love. I know you and I share a deep love of all things Warhol :) Its not a cliche lady its awesome. I was thinking of doing a post with my artwork. Im in the middle of moving right now as soon as its unpacked. lol love ya xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic post!
    Warhol, Lichtenstein, truly giants.
    And think it's utterly fitting to include Duran Duran. As you said, they were very inspired by Warhol. I remember reading about Nick going off on their tour manager in 1984: "I am NOT giving Andy Warhol obstructed view seats!"
    People who don't get Warhol, et. al. are the same who don't get Duran Duran. It's not really what you're saying, it's all about how you say it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this too! So awesome what you created from tabloid mags & paint. I love to make collages myself (like the one at the bottom of my blog), it's fun creating art! great post xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Roy Lichtenstien and Eduardo Paolozzi!

    Love your collage!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool collage! I'm a huge Warhol fan as well. Have you read his diary? Very juicy! I really enjoyed this post Tracey, great to learn something!
    Cupcake
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that you did the history of, and your collage. Art and fashion and music are the memories of our lives.

    ReplyDelete