Monday, November 8, 2010

Manorexia







I have been working on a post about men an eating disorders for a long time. Allot of men read PTB an I'm grateful for that. Women aren't the only ones to feel the pressure that society doles out when it comes to body image. Men also have this battle. When researching this post I read that men have always suffered from eating disorders. Just recently in the 1990's the percentage of men with eating disorders has been on a steady increase. Some experts say that in the 1990's the advertising industry realized the marketability of the Male image. One could remember the Calvin Klein advertisements with a very ripped Mark Wahlberg as the jumping off point. You can even look at the music industry also. Allot of the men are extremely waif like in appearance.
I've watched these two segments an found them to be very informative. In understanding the Psyche of the Manorexic. I'm a visual learner so I found these to be helpful











Do you think that is a more widespread problem ?  Is it surprising men suffer from eating disorders? 

I like many women sometimes would blame men for my poor body image. Thinking they were allot of the pressure. I never thought to stop an think that they too may feel pressure.  In this culture it all seems we are all under pressure. Who are we answering too in all this madness are we just willing participants in this crazy machine. That's just my opinion when do we all start to heal. I think talking about it is a start. I will be doing follow up postings on this topic.



If you are experiencing problems with weight control you are not alone. Get help by contacting your family doctor, a psychologist, mental health center or a doctor specializing in eating disorder .

2 comments:

  1. I've seen boys in first grade knowing that they were "fat" and sometimes they try not to eat ... very hard for little, little boys. I think it's easier for boys to keep going and eat very little with Red Bull to keep them going.

    Great that you're talking about this.

    I've always thought (I know, weird) that if you can talk about anything, pretty soon you can laugh at it and then get over it. Well, maybe it's more hope than anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had allot of questions about body image latley :) The playground is brutal I think allot of adult body issues are born there. I was talking about it the other day saying "I didn't know I was ugly till Junior high " .

    ReplyDelete