Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Why is Basic a Dirty Word ? ( Pop Culture )




I'm over a week behind on this one , I kind of ignored the whole story to be honest. Then it was speculated that Lauren Conrad went platinum blonde in regards to Allure magazine calling her " Basic " with sausage curls ??  Then it just seemed that "Basic" was now the new naughty word. So I decided to dig a little deeper on this one see what the craziness was all about. Even the young girls in the Starbucks line were calling someone "Basic " as they scrolled on there iPhone. The way they used the term was quite derogatory actually mean.   In my twitter feed beauty people were using the term. " How not to be Basic "

A few of  Lauren's  MTV's The Hills co-stars went under the knife allegedly due to the pressures reality stardom.(I'm not judging those who do get cosmetic surgery, its an observation ) She didn't seem to cave under the pressure. The whole " Basic " uproar kinda caught me off guard. Wasn't Lauren's whole branding centered around the girl next door image. It was a bit harsh when they said " Remarkably , Unremarkable " ! Who wants to be called unremarkable ever ?  Though the smelling like "vanilla cupcake body milk" isn't too shabby. They could have said " Sour Goat Milk " that made me gag a little. Correct me if I'm wrong wasn't she just on Allures cover ?

 Her website is reflective of this girl next door branding. I kinda get how it would really aggravate someone in her position. Though she garnered some publicity and coined a new catch phrase. I think the new platinum locks are pretty remarkable.

No comments:

Post a Comment