Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Pop Trash Beauty :Exclusive Interview Jemma Kidd ( Requested Repost from 2011 )




Since I've created Pop Trash Beauty, never have I had such an honor. Jemma Kidd granted us an interview. I've been a fan of Jemma for years. Well respected in every facet of the cosmetic industry. She is a mogul, makeup guru, teacher, mummy, author to name a few things on her stellar resume. A former model  who was more comfortable behind the camera. She emerged to become one of the most talented makeup artists in the world. In 2008 she launched her JK Kidd line with Target. Bringing her cosmetic line across the pond. Off the runway and into your handbag. Her makeup is wearable the price point is reasonable. Id like to thank Jemma for talking to Pop Trash Beauty. One thing you'll learn about this makeup guru, not only talented with the makeup brush. She has some seriously amazing taste in music.

PTB : How did you get started in the makeup business?

JK: I started out in the industry as a model, but I was never really comfortable – unlike my little sister Jodie! When I discovered what it was like being on the other end of the make-up brush, I knew I'd found the right career. I was lucky to work as an assistant to make-up supremo Mary Greenwell for five years and was then spotted by Premier Hair & Make Up Agency and taken on their books in 1999. Since then I've worked with leading fashion designers, photographers and a host of prestigious magazines, including American and British Vogue, Vanity Fair and Elle. I have also written a weekly beauty column in the Mail on Sunday’s YOU magazine for the past six years. In 2003 I founded an academy in London to train professional make-up artists and to offer a range of make-up workshops for women of all ages. I have also created three distinctive make-up ranges – Jemma Kidd Make Up School (launched 2005), Jemma Kidd PRO (launched 2008) and JK Jemma Kidd (launched 2008) – which are sold throughout the UK and US as well as in Australia and Hong Kong.



 PTB: What do you see being the next big trend for fall makeup?

JK : I’m loving the Sixties aesthetic that was seen on so many of the fall 2011 catwalks, from Anna Sui and DKNY in New York, to Moschino Cheap & Chic and Blumarine in Milan. This season the trend has been reworked through modern eyes: simple feline flicks, sultry winged eye shadow and doe-eyed Bambi lashes. To recreate the look try my new Sixties-inspired JK Jemma Kidd I-Sculpt Shadow & Liner featuring an innovative slanted liner to create precise lines and a complementary shadow perfect for sculpting the socket line. Finish with feathery, fluttery lashes for a full-on Sixties revival!

PTB: Is there currently a product in your JK line that you are “addicted to” that you use on a daily basis?

JK: My JK Ultra Plush Mascara and Mannequin Skin Complexion enhancer are my ‘can’t live without’ beauty products. The complexion enhancer is such a multipurpose product and can give skin an instant lift and the mascara is a must have for everyday glamour



PTB: A lot of my readers are over 30. How does makeup change for us at this age? Are there products we used in our 20’s that we should avoid?

JK: As you reach your later 30s, switch from out-and-out glitz to subtle shimmers that are more flattering and wont point out any fine lines around the eyes. There’s no need to stop wearing strong colors though. Pale skin, dark smoldering eyes and red lips can look inappropriately ageing when you’re 20, but in your mid to late 30s the Hollywood seductress style comes into its own for evening. Explore the benefits of high-tech anti-aging ingredients. Crème blushes and undereye concealers in hydrating and firming formulas will help to retain a youthful radiance

PTB: Where do you look for/find inspiration for your fall JK makeup line for Target? What are your influences? Do you have specific styles that you enjoy more than others?

JK: I draw inspiration from everywhere: fashion shows, films, books, design, art, nature, different cultures, people, photography…  I find inspiration all around me.

Q: Name five songs that are always in rotation on your iPod.

JK : 
1. Adele – Turning Tables
2. Bob Marley – Is This Love
3. Radiohead – Paranoid Android
4. Mark Ronson – Bang Bang Bang
5. Coldplay – Fix You

.

PTB: Do you have a favorite Duran Duran song or video?  (Duran Duran is an inspiration behind the blog. Many readers are fans of the band and Jemma Kidd.)

JK : I love Duran Duran! Simon Le Bon is a friend of mine and I was sitting with John Taylor and his wife Gela at Wimbledon this year, as we were both invited by Ralph Lauren. I went to the Duran Duran reunion concert years ago. My favorite songs are Girls On Film, Rio and Ordinary World.

No comments:

Post a Comment