Sunday, January 15, 2012

A Few Good Men ( Duran Duran)









  I am an anti fur person . In the past weeks Duran Duran has come under fire by Animal rights groups. In result of the usage of fur in the video for there song " Girl Panic" . I had thought over the years that Duran Duran may not be anti fur  I kept saying “ Nick Rhodes is a vegetarian, I thought they were safe”    ( Duran Duran has never confirmed or denied there stance on the fur trade)  I wasn't happy about the fur used in the video. In the world of high fashion fur is a common element. I know from years of being anti fur it goes away for a while. Then some designer decides to bring it back. I wish it would just go away personally. I've never agreed with the hate campaigning targeted at fur wearing people. They get annoyed with tactics and it comes to nothing being resolved . Look at this interview with Anna Wintour she discusses her experiences with the anti fur demonstrators. In my opinion they in targeting her with hate. They have indeed acomplished the later of cementing her resolve to wear fur . Could something different been done to send a message to Anna without attacking her. Would she have been open to at least start a dialogue. If you want to turn something to turn around in Fashion she is the women to see. I decided that Duran Duran  had enriched my life in such a positive way. That if they were indeed not anti fur that I would have to agree to disagree. You can still be loyal to your cause.    I have friends that wear fur even though I didn't agree with them.  I still love them all the same. Would you like to know that Mark Ronson is anti fur , he  loves Duran Duran. 



 Duran Duran have become the targets of some really negative back lash due to the fur used in the “ Girl Panic “ video. I read some of the comments on there facebook page. I ended up in utter shock at the down right cruel nature of the comments. It made me angry ,  I understand the passion fueling the debate. The almost demonetization of the band I've seen on many of the anti fur sites is ghastly.  Duran Duran is not a group of heartless guys that people are making them out to be. People don't understand how much much love, joy, hope they have brought too so many people. Including this women who writes with them as my muses.  As Humanitarians they have shown there support to many causes such as but not limited too Amfar , British Red Cross, Amnesty International ,Tsunami Relief.  Keep a Child Alive is an amazing charity that a helps in the survival of children in Africa and India the work that is done helping children living with HIV/AIDS or have been orphaned due to losing there parents to the disease. 
. i
Kids Living With Slim from keepachildalive on Vimeo.


 Maybe this would have been a time were we could have opened up a dialogue with the band explaining why you don't support the fur trade. If they got enough of these messages with well thought out educated view points something could have been accomplished. Just maybe being that in the future they wouldn't have any fur in there videos. I am anti fur but I will never ever ever be anti Duran Duran. I am blessed to have them as an influence in my life I send them my love .  

10 comments:

  1. I love your considered and reasoned posts.

    The object is consideration, discussion, with few exceptions.

    I'm of the respect animals, make life comfortable and look for accomodations.

    Cruelty as a business ethic must not be tolerated, not for people or animals and finally in many legal ways we are considering what is done in our factories and slaughterhouses.

    Fur, fashion ... I don't know. Ethical issues aside I'm dismayed and angered by attacks of any kind, from police to PETA. Respect and civility will garner support.

    I don't wear fur now but I am not a vegan. My pets mean everything to me and do to friends who have gorgeous cowhide rugs. Any different than a nice leather bag?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was well said, my friend!
      I'm also against fur and am a strong proponent of animal rights. I love my dogs and would give my life for them. However, I am seldom altogether that vocal about my convictions. Why? Two reasons.
      One, I still eat meat. No matter how hard I try to go vegan, I end up failing. Secondly, I own a leather jacket. I'm not giving it up because I just look too cool in it. ;)
      If the anti-fur zealots either still consume meat or own anything leather or anything else with animal components, then I would posit that they speak from hypocrisy.
      It should come as no surprise that I love Duran Duran. Yet I will choose to agree to disagree with them on this point. It's not the first time and I doubt it will be the last that do this with them. But that's how it is with friends, isn't it? We'd be pretty boring if we thought completely the same.

      Delete
    2. An additional note to PETA and PETA supporters: I agree with you in spirit, I just don't like how you're saying it. Just because you're screaming doesn't mean that I will listen.

      Delete
  2. @MG Im the same way not a vegan. Love my pet ! I love your insights makes me think. Just seems like there should be more talking on both sides of the table.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @jon Good points :) Yes I'm glad we all dont think the same. I think if you eat meat you can be anti fur being that your using the animal to nourish your body. In wearing leather your using every part of the animal this is were I get slammed by the animal rights peeps and Fur lovers alike lol See we are all talking this is good

    ReplyDelete
  4. It must have took allot of courage to do this post. Duran Duran sure have some smart fans.If they are all as beautiful as you. Sign me up!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for coming by Chris! Yes sign up! We always need more men in the mix.This post did take some courage. I spoke from the heart that made it easy. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. via facebook Farrah Anderson Very well put VB! This backlash has other horrible prospects as well. Soon there will be something about objectifying women and then the right wing will jump on the band wagon and say that the video promotes a gay agenda. People are looking for anything to be pissed off about. As far as the fur thing- I used to be very much anti-fur. Then I realized that they were only outraged about the slaughter of "cute" animals, no one was going after people for wearing leather. Why? Because cows aren't cute. Well that's just ridiculous. The species- homo sapiens, evolved to a point where we have very little body hair to keep us warm. We adapted by wearing the fur of the animals that we ate, or threatened our livelihood. I agree that we have other methods for garments that do not involve the slaughter of other living things. However, where is the giant backlash for the organic cotton products that are made with slave labor and torture? Swept under the big, furry, rug.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your convictions on topics are dear too you. You care so much for people also I might add. Can I ask what a mind fuck it was to have your Duran Duran in this position? I agree with your friends that you made some valid points. Knowing you as I do. I kinda wished you didn't like them for this blog post. Would have taken on an entirely different tone. You have allot more passions in life then Duran Duran.I think it was 2006 when we lost you too them. Do we need to deprogram the Duranie AGAIN! My personal opinion on this blog. Do this without them! Frankly I don't see the point in carrying on with them as your muse. I just think the inspiration is in you. If they know of you , you're probably a joke. A nut fan with no life. Which even your worst enemies will agree that you are smart articulate. You have a vibrant life that you need to talk about more. Not some mindless victim of fandom. I want you to move forward doing this for you. The muse would be your fascinating life. I love you but you're more than this !!!

    love YOU
    Ian
    ( if you don't speak to me for a couple of days. Its worth it. Sorry tough love time)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Ian no I'm not talking to you for a couple of days. What goes into the deprogramming of a Duranie?? Do I vomit pea soup at some point? I know your not alone in your opinion. I do love you my dear. I posted your comment because you thought I wouldn't. C'mon I know that I took the risk of being a joke to them. I have no words really at this point LOL

    ReplyDelete