Sunday, November 27, 2011

Being There




As most of you know , I'm on the mend from being ill. I am feeling better and cabin fever is settling in .I will get to the Muppet Movie this week and write a review . Ive been watching allot of television which isn't healthy for anyone. Even if your a pop culture junkie it can be a bit much. Ive been on the couch watching Threes Company, Animal Planet , National Geo who I must say is doing allot of prison shows lately. I even watched home shopping network . Which the iconic Adrien Arpel was presenting her line. She is one gutsy gal . I remember seeing her commercials when I was little. I wonder what it would have been like to see the equally as gutsy Helena Rubinstien pedal her line on home shopping. Here is a look at Adrien Arpel back in the 80's . I had to laugh at the hair oh Aqua Net .





The more television I watched made me think of this movie. I watched in my Media Class in college. Its called " Being There "  this movie was made in 1979 . Ive watched it over there years , if you haven't seen it well its one of those movies that should be on your list. Even for its time it brings up allot of good questions. ( They'll probably remake it , I hope not)  This story is about a middle aged Gardner named Chance . Who has worked on the same estate his whole life . When his employer passes on , for the first time in his life he is thrust into the world outside is small world. There is a twist his world view is completely built on Television. The people he encounters find him to be fascinating. They know nothing of us television indoctrination  I've posted the youtube trailer below so you can get a look at the film. I often wonder if this story was set in our time now. How would his view been different . All I can say is Jersey Shore as an example .



So what do you think of Chancey Gardiner ? Could it happen now , in our saturated society do you think. In some aspects we are all in some way " Chancey Gardiner " . How much of your world view is shaped by the media or actual life experience?

Of course there is always a song my darlings

No comments:

Post a Comment