Monday, July 5, 2010

Body Image : Dancing With My Doppelganger


A few months ago we all did the doppelganger game on Facebook Where you post a pic of a celebrity you resemble. Everyone from Kim Kardashian to Dame Edna showed up on my friends status updates. Who did I pick Andie MacDowell . Everyone from my mother too strangers on a plane would say are you related to Andie MacDowell ?  Seriously this would make me blush. There is always two sides to every story. I had another doppelgager in the wings.




                                                           Nikki Blonsky stars as "Tracy Turnblad "

Yes that's Right Tracy Turnblad danced her way off the Corny Collins Show. Right into my life I never saw it coming. When the original Hairspray  film came out in 1988 I never got compared to this character. It wasn't until its second release in 2007 . When Niki Blondsky portrayed her that the comparisons came rolling in. My friends would see the movie , then tell me how much we were alike. This didn't bode well for me. I was ashamed at how I recoiled at the mere mention of the movie. To me everyone seemed obsessed with watching it. When all I wanted to do was make it go away. I decided it was time to come to terms with this. When the movie came out on DVD. I watched it by myself. What I realized was Tracy Turnblad was beautiful, brave, activist, smart, good dancer. She brought people together and gave them hope. I not wanting to face the truth about myself. Had possibly shirked off one of the sweetest compliments my friends ever gave me. I should have been so lucky to be compared to her. I have since lost allot of weight and my goal isn't to far off.  Coming to terms and embracing my doppelganger helped me in the long road ahead. Even If I didn't lose a single pound. I learned to love who I was, as I was.


So I asked some of my wonderful Pop Trash Beauty Twitter Followers .


Have you ever been told you look like a celebrity. Did you like or hate ?


" I have been told that I look like Rachel Hunter a lot. Which I love. "

 ( Stacey Bon aka Stacey Grant Bonnell ) 

"i have been told i looked like britney spears. i loved it. Also been told i looked like vienna girardi. not so much "

(Effie Orlandies aka Legendary Writer )


Like or hate? Depends on the celeb I'm compared to. Once told I look like Jaqueline bisset - good. Also Laura flynn boyle- bad  to me...
( Piper Pearl Page )


I've been told I look like Kimora Lee Simmons & Tamera Mowry. People just say "you look like those twins"! 

(Bobby Beauty aka Janine Walker )












No comments:

Post a Comment