Thursday, June 16, 2011

House of Style in the 90's

I think with all this talk of 1990's Super Models . I got nostalgic for House of Style in the 90's . I have to say this little show is the first place I learned fashion 101. Betsy Johnson, Todd Oldman to name a couple of designers. I was able to watch red carpet and recognize there work. For me it was key to understanding the fashion magazines. Even though I loved them as a teen. I didn't understand what was really going on. What was Haute Couture ? What are Norwich notes ?   I know we do have a younger audience so here is a little taste of House of Style from the 90's . I call it Pop Trash Beauty's training bra . So do you have a Television show , person , band , book that just cracked the world open for you?












4 comments:

  1. tut, tut ... not only a younger audience.

    I bought Todd ... in a sea of black and well-mannered, his leopard something everywhere - lining, jackets, striped silk pants .. were NOT quiet but were a relief and fun and oh joy sold right smack out the door. There was the Mona Lisa hand sequined skirt which back then was hot tight and 2300. Who knows how much a work of art by hand beading would cost now. Yes, it was expensive, but not yelling expensive.

    Gaultier was really of the '80's although he began not too quietly in the '70's.

    Betsey Johnson is truly of any decade, like Cher is.

    Those days ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. @MG I know that we have readers of all ages. We have young ones who send me emails asking me what it was like in the 80's and 90s.

    Seriously MG you are a House of Style :) What designer stands out to you as a icon for our time now ? xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. The George M. video Freedom '90 started my fascination with the fashion world, right at the start of the '90's. Todd Oldman was cool! He made a mini comeback redesigning for (of all stores) Old Gravy. I think there's a lawsuit going on that partnership.
    Good times Tracey!
    Cupcake
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I didn't watch the show, I did see the episode where Simon and Nick guested. One of my favorite Nick quotes is still "I knew I could find a $500 suit at Sears."

    ReplyDelete